This position is responsible for leading the quality effort for the site and serves as the management representative for quality system registrations (ISO). This includes proactive quality initiatives to support customer satisfaction and plant efficiencies as well as maintaining lab capability for analytical measurements of the product line for the Roebuck manufacturing plant. Analytical methods development, equipment maintenance, work processes, and people capabilities of the Quality Control lab are in the scope of this role. Moreover, the Quality Manager is an active participant in site safety programs, continuous improvement efforts and efforts to respond to customer complaints.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow all plant safety requirements and participate in activities to continuously improve safety performance. Lead/participate in department and site safety initiatives including attending and leading safety meetings as assigned.
- Quality management representative for ISO registration. Organize and help the team gain and maintain registrations as directed by the site manager.
- Lead investigations of customer complaints to determine root causes and develop corrective and preventive measures.
- Lead proactive quality initiatives to support improvements and address opportunities identified with the site’s SQC program.
- Document testing procedures and lab processes. Develop new tests for quality control implementation.
- Test new test methods and products developed in R & D for validation, precision and accuracy in order to implement quality control methods.
- Establish and maintain SAP master data in the QM module to support collection of data for the product line.
- Monitor site quality control function to ensure results obtained from tests are valid. Troubleshoot and validate finished product testing procedures.
- Train associates to perform the testing and document the results of their work.
- Establish and monitor the effectiveness of calibration and verification procedures for analytical equipment.
- Provide technical support to maintain analytical laboratory equipment. Manage plant capability by anticipating and planning for future analytical testing needs.
- Communicate with both internal and external customers to troubleshoot analytical testing issues that impact customer relations.
- Lead and support quality improvement efforts as a Green Belt in the Six Sigma program.
- Lead a team of QC technicians, including responsibility for scheduling, payroll/time reporting, advancement, development, and other supervisory functions.
Other Essential Criteria:
- Must be able to support and be aligned with business goals by contributing to the Company’s quality objectives and customer order fulfillment processes.
- Must be able to lead and participate in a team environment.
- Ability to wear safety equipment as required.
- Ability to respond to calls and solve problems during off-shift hours.
- Must be able to satisfy the Core Competencies for the role
- Ability to explain and present technical data to non-technical people.
- Must be able to train site associates on technical tasks and concepts.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Skills:
- BS in chemistry. MS or doctorate in analytical chemistry, preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years related experience.
- Working knowledge of analytical methodology associated with acrylic polymers.
- Good oral and written communication skills. Capable of managing direct reports and leading small teams.
- Computer skills, including the ability to statistically evaluate analytical testing capability and manufacturing quality data.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arm, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is moderately quiet.