This position leads and manages the global Environmental function for Our Client Company. The position develops and implements strategy, policy, processes, systems and tactics to deliver world class environmental performance for Company, ensuring global environmental compliance and on-time attainment of our environmental footprint reduction goals. In collaboration with the medical director and safety director, this position assures contemporary environmental-professional functional excellence through employee selection and development, global succession management, and leadership of the Company Environmental Leadership Council.
Reports to: Vice President and Chief Sustainability Officer
Span of Control: Corporate Environmental; dotted line global accountability for all business unit environmental professionals.
- Strategy Development
- Drives strategy development for the successful implementation and execution of the E aspects of the EH&S pillar of Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) across Company to deliver zero environmental nonconformities, assured compliance and broad deployment of contemporary Environmental Management Systems.
- Analyzes business strengths and weaknesses, candidly and powerfully communicates to drive action, and leverages continuous improvement tools to improve performance and achieve our footprint goals.
- Leverages a combination of leading/lagging metrics and innovation test and learns to identify opportunities and drive material improvement (modeling ideation/evaluation/action and connection).
- Hungrily advances company learning, critical thinking, big-data analytics/insight, innovation/research and development, external knowledge/networking and leading-edge problem solving methods to understand the global environmental landscape (including climate regulations), identify, address and eliminate persistent environmental challenges, capture emerging opportunities, and advocate and gain alignment on science-based long term footprint reduction goals.
- Executing Environmental Strategy and Directing Operations
Establishes and maintains a management system with effective metrics and ongoing assessment to ensure progress and success…with a bias toward hands-on operational engagement around the world.
- Demonstrates visual and influential leadership at all levels of operations and takes the initiative to fill identified leadership gaps
- Partners with business leaders to continuously improve the behaviors, awareness and accountability systems to meet business objectives.
- Lead the corporate Environmental team to ensure the strategic development of effective environmental programs to ensure compliance and meet/exceed footprint reduction goals; effectively delegates while staying closely connected to execution of programs. These programs will comply with local legislative and administrative requirements while leveraging current best practices.
- Collaborate with and connects Environmental and Operations Leaders together to ensure corporate resources are advancing environmental results and all policies are effective and comply with local regulatory requirements and company policies.
- Benchmark with external leaders to bring the best thinking around environmental stewardship into Company.
- Set clear and measurable expectations of environmental performance; Establish, communicate and review commitments on a regular basis to ensure milestones are achieved; demonstrates resilience and commitment to overcome obstacles to deliver on commitments
- Establish and maintain a clear vision and expectations regarding environmental stewardship for our employees, contractors and any visitors in our work locations.
- Talent Management and Development
- In collaboration with the medical director and safety director, this position assures contemporary environmental-professional functional excellence through employee selection and development and global succession management for EH&S.
- Designs and manages the environmental organization creating accountability and development opportunities.
- Establishes accountability processes for ensuring alignment with operations leadership in talent management, expectation setting and performance management of environmental talent
- Creates an inclusive environment where talent is developed through ongoing performance management and talent assessment.
- Effectively uses a mix of internal and external recruitment to satisfy near-term performance, longer-term succession to meet the business need; maintains an external “Brand” that attracts both seasoned and emerging environmental talent to Company
- Invests in growth and development of direct reports and other identified talent in their organization.
- Builds a work environment that nurtures and facilitates open communication, employee engagement and diversity.
- Undergraduate degree required (EH&S or science/engineering); advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in leading Environmental (or EH&S) function with progressive career advancement including operational and functional assignments; TPM experience highly desired.
- External EH&S publications and professional recognitions
- Success in leading large, matrix organizations across geographically diverse areas.
- Experience working in a mature ISO 14000 environmental management system (or equivalent) environment
- Experience working in a mature TPM environment
- Experience working with external parties including suppliers and regulatory authorities strongly preferred
- Advanced education or professional certification/training in EH&S field
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to iterate with agility across ideation, evaluation and action while effectively leveraging cross-functional team connection to get meaningful work done with speed.
- Ability to shift and adapt behavior based on audience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lead and drive change across teams, functions, businesses.
- Building, leading and inspiring teams.
- Ability to translate complex technical needs/requirements into clear actions for execution.
- Strong organization skills, manages competing priorities and keeps stakeholders well-informed
- Comfortable with ambiguity and is able to influence without authority
About Our Client
Our Client develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, our people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Company posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years.
A career at Company offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Our Client is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.