This position will be accountable for all health, safety, and environmental activities at the site, with a primary focus on improving the site’s safety performance, and maintaining environmental regulatory requirements. This position will be responsible for the development and implementation of site specific safety programs and will provide leadership for incident investigations and process safety reviews.
- Provide safety leadership to the site. Develop and install programs designed to achieve 0 injuries and improve the safety culture.
- Lead site compliance with OSHA standards, providing guidance to production and maintenance personnel on occupational safety and health issues.
- Ensure site is fully compliant with all state and federal environmental regulations, and own execution of all compliance related activities.
- Lead the process safety management processes for the site (Process Hazard Analysis, Training, Contractor Management, Management of Change, Incident Investigation) – ensuring appropriate reviews are conducted, documented and communicated.
- Implement Corporate Safety Standards with support from Corporate Safety Group. This includes the development, update and implementation of site specific programs, policies, and procedures as well as development of any required training programs.
- Monitor the safe condition audit process – ensuring that all audits are completed and properly documented.
- Track safety actions and safety work orders to ensure timely completion.
- Manage the daily/weekly/monthly Safety and Environmental metrics and reporting for the site.
- Ensure execution of routine audits of safe work management systems, especially life critical standards (LOTO, Hot Work, Elevated Work, etc..).
- Drive improvement in behavior based observation systems and culture.
- Manage site industrial hygiene monitoring program.
- Lead incident investigations to ensure they are properly classified and fully investigated to identify root causes, and drive the implementation of corrective actions.
- Assist in the safety evaluation of new projects and ventures; evaluate and recommend actions to improve safety performance and to reduce risk. Participate in any process safety reviews conducted on site operations.
- Lead the emergency response team and all emergency response team activities
- Lead site safety committee activities, as well as union management safety meetings.
- 3-8 years experience in leading safety in the chemical, pharmaceutical, petroleum or process industries, Bachelor Degree, advanced degree desirable.
- Detail oriented and consistently meets commitments. Possesses good organizational and planning skills, can multi-task and prioritize effectively. Is able to document and execute against short and long term plans to achieve objectives.
- Can lead, direct, and coach managers, technical professionals, and hourly employees.
- Familiar with manufacturing production processes and driving safety within the plant environment.
- Knowledge of US safety and occupational health regulations (OSHA).
- Experience in safety incident classification, investigation methodologies, and root cause analyses desirable.
- Must be able to develop/conduct training for both technical / management and operator level.
- Working experience with risk analysis and decision making concepts.
- Knowledgeable of occupational safety programs, including behavioral based safety management, incident reporting, job task surveys, ergonomics; and, able to recognize health and industrial hygiene issues.
- Familiar with process safety management systems, including MOC and other elements of the OSHA PSM standard. Working familiarity with the technical aspects of process safety – P&IDs, interlocks (SIS), emergency relief systems, suppression systems, etc..
- Some travel required, estimated at about 5-10% overnight travel.