Job Id: 3035
Location: Chicago, IL
Job Type: DirectHire
- Responsible for managing the Environmental Health & Safety Department and coordinating site environmental compliance programs.
- Maintains working knowledge of governmental EHS regulations and relevant new technology, processes, products and equipment.
- Coordinates with other plant operating departments to direct supporting staff activities toward meeting overall plant EHS goals.
- Supervises the safety personnel responsible for the development and implementation of loss prevention and plant safety programs.
- Ensures that the facility complies with fire, building and health codes and that employees are provided a safe working environment.
- Supervises the environmental and utility engineers, the safety officer, the site trainer, and other personnel.
- Obtains and maintains current all applicable construction, operating and discharge permits.
- Works to minimize waste generation and disposal.
- Oversees the Industrial Hygiene program for monitoring workplace exposures to potentially harmful materials and agents.
- Oversees the contract Security personnel to guarantee that the plant remains secure.
- Ensures that all site employees are trained and informed of health, safety and environmental compliance.
- Maintains records and submits reports to ensure plant EHS compliance.
- May perform other plant activities, such as acting as liaison with governmental agencies, as required by location.
- Prepares various reports to advise management of EHS compliance activities.
- Selects, trains, and develops an effective supporting staff. Initiates salary increases and conducts performance appraisals on a timely basis.
- Participates in various state, local and professional groups to promote EHS concerns.
- Is the RC14001 Management Representative with responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- insuring that the established RC14001 System is implemented and maintained according to the American Chemistry Council RC14001 Technical Specification
- reporting on the system performance during management reviews, including recommendations for improvement
- identifying and assessing program and organizational needs and to allocate resources to meet RC14001 System objectives, targets and programs
- promotes awareness of RC14001 requirements
- Supports commitment to the guiding principles of Responsible Care®, and its Codes of Management Practice, to continually improve health, safety and environmental performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Chemistry, Environmental Science, Engineering or related field.
- 5+ years of EHS experience
- 2+ years of management experience
- No immigration sponsorship available for this opportunity
- Good working knowledge of EHS regulations.
- 5+ years of previous management experience preferred
- The ability to direct, train, and motivate staff
- Experience working in a chemical manufacturing facility a plus